Talanor, the Bright Tower
Arcana - Legendary Items
Legendary Item Rules
Magic Items of all types may be found, looted, worn, repurposed, destroyed. Magic items, called ‘Legendary Items’, may be imbued with magical essences to customize them, thereby bonding with the character.
Types of Legendary Items
Masterwork – an item of masterwork quality
Curio – a Masterwork item that has been infused with magic through a ritual or other ancient process.
Wonder – a Masterwork or Curio that has bonded with a mortal having been infused with an essence.
Relic – a Wonder or Curio that has been blessed by, created by or bonded to a Greater or Lesser Spirit (often referred to as the “patron spirit”).
Categories of Legendary Items
Casting Bonds – amulets, holy symbols, rings, rods, staves, wands or the similar will be attuned to either arcane or divine casting.
Armor Bonds – armor, shields, bracers or robes
Weapon Bonds – weapons
Sundry Bonds – any worn or held item, such as rings, amulets, boots, gloves, robes, cloaks, belts, goggles, crowns, headbands, bracers, etc.
Bonding with a Legendary Item
- Bonding with a Legendary Item is a standard action.
- Bonding with a Legendary Item occurs when the mortal infuses an essence into that item and beats the DC with a Will save. If the Will save fails, the essence also fails to imbue the item and is discharged. To bond with any item, it must be held or worn in the appropriate manner.
- Bonding with a specific Legendary Item can only be attempted once per character level.
- Bonding with a Curio is a DC10.
- Bonding with a Wonder is a DC15.
- Bonding with a Relic is a DC25.
- If a Wonder or Relic is currently bonded to another Being, the DC increases by the other Being’s Will Save Bonus.
- If the patron spirit of a Relic opposes the bonding, the DC is increased by 15.
- If the patron spirit of a Relic blesses the bonding, the DC is decreased by 10.
Breaking a Bond with a Legendary Item
- Breaking a bond with a Legendary Item can only be attempted once per character level.
- Breaking a bond with a Wonder or Relic is a DC25 Will Save plus 5 per essence imbued to the Wonder.
- Without bonding, a Being can still use a Legendary Item and get the benefits of imbued essences, unless otherwise noted with “(Bonded Only)”.
- Without boding, a Being cannot imbue any essences to a Legendary Item.
- Regardless of bonding, a Being using a Relic without the blessing of patron spirit will be harmed by the Relic.
- Destroying a Wonder or Relic will harm a Being that is currently bonded with the item.
- At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 14th & 20th level, a character may bond with an additional Legendary Item.